The 14th and 15th centuries can be regarded as the period which maintained and continued the success of Islamic sciences coming from the 12th and 13th centuries. In this period, there were many excellent thinkers and significant works. For instance, Quṭb al-Dīn al-Rāzī (d. 766/1365) and bn Mubarakshah al-Bukharī (d. 1382) came into prominence with their philosophical studies; Māturīdī theologian Sadr al-Shariah al-Thânî (d. 747/1346), Ash‘ari theologians Ahmad al-Iji (d. 756/1355), Sa’d al-Dīn al-Taftāzānī (d. 792/1390) and al- Sharif al-Jurjānī (d. 816/1413) produced magnificent works by combining philosophy and kalām. Moreover, Jalāl al-Dīn al-Dawānī (d. 918/1512) wrote on philosophy, kalām and ethics; and Ali Kuşçu (Qūshjī) (d. 879/1474) wrote on philosophy, kalām and mathematics. Furthermore, Dāwūd al-Qayṣarī (d. 751/1350) wrote sufistic works in the al-Akbar tradition, and Molla Fenārī (d. 834/1431) wrote about metaphysics and tasawwuf as well as religious sciences. Simirlarly, Hocazāde (d. 893/1488) also wrote about discussions in philosophy and kalām within the tradition of Tahāfut.
We are holding the second of the series of international symposiums which we held (16-17 November 2013) as “International Symposium on Philosophy in the 13th Century”. In order to follow the scientific and philosophical continuity and development in Islamic world we are going to hold the second symposium with the name of “International Symposium on Philosophy, Kalām, Tasawwuf in the 14th And 15th Century Islamic Thought”.
Scope and Limitations:
Symposium proceedings include the ideas and theories on a specific problem of the philosophers, theologians and sufis who lived in that period or analyze and compare with the ideas or theories on the same problem of the thinkers who lived before or after.
Biographic studies will not be taken into consideration.
The studies which are aiming to analyze the interaction on a problem which was held by at least two thinkers, will be in the scope of the symposium. 14th -15th centuries refer to years between 1301-1500. In addition to this, the philosophers, theologians and Sufis who lived their lives’ first 10 years or last few years in these years will be taken into consideration.
The language of proceedings should be Turkish, English or Arabic only.
In the context of 14. and 15. Centuries:
- Philosophical subjects, concepts and problems
- Theological subjects, concepts, and problems
- Subjects, concepts and problems of Sufism
- The interaction between Philosophy and Kalām
- The interaction between Philosophy and Tasawwuf
- The interaction between Kalām and Tasawwuf
- The interaction between Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf
- The scholars who influenced or were influenced by philosophers, theologians and sufis in that period
- Existence in terms of Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf.
- Metaphysics in terms of Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf
- Epistemology in terms of Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf
- Morality/ethics in terms of Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf
- Nafs/psychology in terms of Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf
- Logic in terms of Philosophy – Kalām -Tasawwuf.
- Faith issues in terms of Philosophy – Kalām – Tasawwuf.
Abstract submission deadline: January 17, 2020
Notification of acceptance: February 1, 2020
Full manuscripts submission dealine: March 17, 2020
Symposium date: April 17-19, 2020